By: Lori Thayer
Set the scene for romance for an evening your partner will never forget. Whether it is for a special Valentine's Day, Anniversary, Birthday or date night setting the scene for romance is makes the time extra special. Consider all five senses to set a truly romantic scene.
Ladies, don't think these tips are only for men. Setting a special romantic scene for your man will be appreciated as well. (and give them ideas for what they can do for you)
Romantic gift ideas are sprinkled throughout the article so take note of gift ideas that will help set a romantic scene.
A Romantic Sight: Lighting
Soft, dim lighting sets a romantic ambience. To achieve this:
- Use candles if possible. The soft, flickering light is warm, inviting and alluring.
- If you don't want an open flame there are some great LED, battery operated candles available.
- If you have dimmer switches turn the lighting down very low.
- See my board on Pinterest for more romantic lighting ideas.
- Go the extra mile
- Fill the room with red and white candles
- Drape lamps with a red cloth to soften the light and create a soft glow
Other romantic visual touches
- Use rose petals
- Spread them across the table to set a beautiful and fragrant scene
- Spread them along the path to the door or from the door to the table for a romantic dinner or other location
Sounds for Romance
Entice your partner to romance with their sense of hearing:
- Soft music – make sure the music is a nice background and not overpowering. Keep it subtle.
- It is so easy to make a playlist of songs ahead of time and play them from your computer, smartphone or iPad.
- Music to consider for your playlist
- Michael Buble
- Josh Groban
- Andrea Bocelli
- Frank Sinatra
- Rather than music artists use water to create a romantic sound: a bubbling brook, waterfall or softly lapping waves can set a lovely romantic scene.
- Use music for these sounds if you don't have an ocean or waterfall handy.
Aromatherapy for Romance
The sense of smell is an important one often forgotten in setting a romantic scene:
- Roses are very fragrant and will leave a lovely scent for your partner
- Chocolate is also a great smell
- Use a diffuser to release provide a romantic scent. There are many great options for scents. Here are a couple I recommend:
A Touch of Romance
- Fabrics that are soft and silky can make excellent additions as tablecloths, clothing to wear for the romantic evening, and in gifts:
- and silk are all fabulous
- Massage is a great way to enhance romance between couples. Use sensation massage oil to give your partner an after dinner treat.
- Go the extra mile - give your partner an Organic Spa Basket and draw them a bubble bath to relax and enjoy while you finish the dinner preparations and set the romantic scene.
A Taste of Romance
Taste is the final sense to use in setting a romantic scene. Aphrodisiac foods to consider adding to your menu:
- Oysters - Possibly an appetizer. Some people love oysters, others not so much so know your partner's preferences before going this route.
- Asparagus - Saute your asparagus in a little olive oil and garlic (another aphrodisiac) and then squeeze on some lemon for a wonderful side dish.
- Almonds - Almonds could be used to make a crust on fish. Try a lovely dijon, almond crust on salmon. Sprinkle with fresh, chopped basil (another aphrodisiac)
- Honey - Honey is a great sweetener for your tea. Have some with dinner or after.
What is the most romantic scene you've had and why. Share your story with us in the comments below.